Busy Times in the Studio



Events conspire, good events mind you, against serious blogging this week. Had a crew come in and paint my studio and home from top to bottom. It looks great, but there's been a lot of moving of paintings and equipment to allow it to happen. Time consuming, but the studio has never looked so fresh and inviting...

My painting above, Deep Forest Pool, oil on panel, 32 x 40" is now hanging in the Annual Members Exhibition at the Academy Art Museum over in Easton, Maryland. It's a piece done entirely from imagination and memory of my boyhood in the northern forests.

Last Sunday my wife Alice and I drove over to hear Peter Trippi, Editor of Fine Art Connoisseur magazine, give a great talk and slide presentation on contemporary realist painting. He kindly included my own work in his talk. 

That's Peter on the left below at the Academy Art Museum. For anyone interested in the links between historic realist painting and realist painting today I don't think you'll find another magazine of its quality.



As often happens, I got so charmed by the Academy Art Museum that I decided to bring a favorite painting to hang in their Members  show that opens tomorrow evening. I'll be at the opening reception (Friday 8/26, 5:30-7:30) if any readers can come by and say hello.




Watching Academy Art Museum grow from a simple community art center a few decades ago to an accredited state of the art regional art museum has been a treat. It managed to hold onto its 19th century architectural appeal while bringing in delightfully abundant natural light into the central lobby of the Museum. One of the most inviting spaces I've seen.

I was also contacted by William Baczek Fine Arts in Northampton, Massachusetts to send a number of works up for their annual Landscape Exhibition held during September. Very likely my oil now in the Academy Museum, Deep Forest Pool, will be making the trip north.

And lastly I'm finishing off preparations to send 16 paintings up to Isalos Fine Art in Stonington, Maine next week for their Aug. 13 - Sept. 2 show, Inside Edward Hopper's World: Paintings by Philip Koch. Michael Daugherty who runs Isalos has put together a handsome catalogue illustrating all the works in the show. I will be posting information in a coming blog about how to order a copy.


Popular posts from this blog

Edward Hopper- Looking Out

Maier Museum of Art Acquires Work by Philip Koch

Edward Hopper's Poetry of Empty Rooms